49-3023.02 - Automotive Specialty Technicians
Green occupations will likely change as a result of the green economy. Green economy activities and technologies are increasing the demand for occupations, shaping the work and worker requirements needed for occupational performance, or generating new and emerging occupations.
This is a Green Enhanced Skills occupation — green economy activities and technologies are likely to cause significant change to the work and worker requirements. New tasks, skills, knowledge, credentials may be needed. Employment demand remains the same, but there is potential for an increase.
Automotive specialty technicians work in the following green economy sectors:
- Transportation — This sector covers activities related to increasing efficiency and/or reducing environmental impact of various modes of transportation including trucking, mass transit, and freight rail.
They perform these tasks important to the green economy:
- Change spark plugs, fuel filters, air filters, and batteries in hybrid electric vehicles.
- Conduct visual inspections of compressed natural gas fuel systems to identify cracks, gouges, abrasions, discoloration, broken fibers, loose brackets, damaged gaskets, or other problems.
- Convert vehicle fuel systems from gasoline to butane gas, ethanol, methane, or other alternative or biofuel systems.
- Diagnose and repair regenerative braking systems or hydraulic systems in hybrid vehicles.
- Diagnose and replace or repair engine management systems or related sensors for flexible fuel vehicles (FFVs) with ignition timing, fuel rate, alcohol concentration, or air-to-fuel ratio malfunctions.
- Inspect propane or natural gas high-pressure tanks, piping, or pressure regulators.
- Replace hydraulically assisted systems with electric-powered systems, such as power steering pumps or air conditioning compressors, to improve fuel economy.
- Retrofit vehicle fuel systems with aftermarket products, such as vapor transfer devices, evaporation control devices, swirlers, lean burn devices, or friction reduction devices, to enhance combustion and fuel efficiency.
- Service biodiesel fuel tanks for algae or sludge accumulation by cleaning, changing filters, or adding algaecides.
- Service internal combustion engine systems for hybrid electric vehicles.
- Service or repair butane gas, ethanol, methane, or other alternative or biofuel systems.
- Tune automobile engines to ensure proper and efficient functioning.