11-9021.00 - Construction Managers
Green occupations will likely change as a result of the green economy. Green economy activities and technologies are increasing the demand for occupations, shaping the work and worker requirements needed for occupational performance, or generating new and emerging occupations.
This is a Green Enhanced Skills occupation — green economy activities and technologies are likely to cause significant change to the work and worker requirements. New tasks, skills, knowledge, credentials may be needed. Employment demand remains the same, but there is potential for an increase.
Construction managers work in the following green economy sectors:
- Environment Protection — This sector covers activities related to environmental remediation, climate change adaptation, and ensuring or enhancing air quality.
- Green Construction — This sector covers activities related to constructing new green buildings, retrofitting residential and commercial buildings, and installing other green construction technology.
They perform these tasks important to the green economy:
- Apply green building strategies to reduce energy costs or minimize carbon output or other sources of harm to the environment.
- Develop construction budgets to compare green and non-green construction alternatives, in terms of short-term costs, long-term costs, or environmental impacts.
- Develop or implement environmental protection programs.
- Implement training programs on environmentally responsible building topics to update employee skills and knowledge.
- Inspect or review projects to monitor compliance with environmental regulations.
- Perform, or contract others to perform, pre-building assessments, such as conceptual cost estimating, rough order of magnitude estimating, feasibility, or energy efficiency, environmental, and sustainability assessments.
- Secure third-party verification from sources such as Leadership in Energy Efficient Design (LEED) to ensure responsible design and building activities or to achieve favorable LEED ratings for building projects.